Article of the Week:
“Election Day Freebies and Specials,” by Caroline Kim for Yahoo.
Monday, November 5th:
– Portland Center for the Performing Arts Volunteer Program presents Noontime Showcase: Readers Theatre Gresham, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the Antoinette Hatfield Hall Rotunda Lobby. Free.
– Powell’s Book event, 7:00pm at Powell’s Books on Burnside, free. Description from web site: “Food-blogging phenom Deb Perelman â€” home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated author of SmittenKitchen.com â€” presents The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Knopf).”
– Submission: Authors in Pubs, 7:00pm – 9:00pm at the Jack London Bar (beneath the Rialto Pool Room) in downtown Portland. Free, 21 and over only.
– OMSI Science Pub presents “Beer: A Tasty Blend of Art, History, and Science,” 7:00pm at McMenamins Bagdad Theater. $5 suggested cover charge, all ages welcome.
Tuesday, November 6th:
– Still have your ballot? Drop them off at these locations and make your vote count: Multnomah County, Washington County and Clackamas County.
– Election Night – partake in free viewing parties at the Grand Central Bowl, Doug Fir Lounge, Blitz Pearl, Alberta Rose Theater and on the big screen at select McMenamins locations.
– Free financial presentation “Holiday Finances and Budgeting,” 6:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library.
– First Tuesday opening art exhibits at the Glenn & Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center in downtown Hillsboro, 6:00pm â€“ 8:00pm, free. An opening reception and a student recital from MIR Music will be held.
– First Tuesday Music series: Sally Harmon, 7:00pm at the Lake Oswego Public Library, free.
Wednesday, November 7th:
– Free educational program lunchtime lecture “Gorge Inspirations,” 12:00pm at the Architectural Heritage Center in SE Portland.
– 9th Annual Ray Warren Multicultural Symposium at Lewis and Clark College, Wednesday – Friday, all sessions are free and open to the public. This yearâ€™s symposium will examine issues of race and ethnicity in connection with media and communication.
Thursday, November 8th:
– Fall RV Show, 11:00am – 8:00pm at the Portland Expo Center. Admission is $8, but click here to get your 2 for 1 coupon from Valpak.
– Submission: Annual Taste of Thanksgiving event, 5:00pm – 8:00pm at area Whole Foods Markets. For a $10 donation you will sample holiday items from around the store while you listen to live music. All proceeds benefit a local charity in the Portland area, see your neighborhood store for specific details.
– Free film screening of “Groundswell: A Small Film About Making a Big Change,” 7:00pm at the EcoTrust building in the Pearl.
– Mississippi Pizza Comedy Night “The Lost Comics of Atlantis,” 9:00pm, just $5.