Thursday, January 24th:
– Free: Film screening and discussion, “The Suffering Grasses,” 6:30pm on the campus of Portland State University’s Smith Memorial Student Union, room 296/8. Free and open to the public. Omar Offendum will conclude the event with a hip hop performance.
Friday, January 25th:
– Free: Admission to the Portland Art Museum from 5:00pm – 8:00pm as part of their Fourth Fridays promotion.
– Free: Oregon Humanities Center lecture “The Best Care Possible Through the End of Life: What It Is and How to Get It,” 7:00pm at the White Stag Building in Portland’s Old Town.
– Free: Powell’s welcomes co-author Tricia Brown and her book “The Alaska Homesteader’s Handbook: Independent Living on the Last Frontier,” 7:30pm at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside.
Saturday, January 26th:
– Submission: Family Fun Day at Unplugged Games PDX, 12:00pm – 5:00pm every Saturday. At 6:00pm, the store offers a chance for gamers to learn how to play the World of Warcraft.
– Submission: Rewild Skillshare January activity on knife sharpening, 3:00pm – 5:00pm, $5 – $10 donation (no one turned away). For park location, you must subscribe to their mailing list by clicking the link to the upper right of their homepage and following the directions.
– Free: New Year’s Resolution Rally, 11:00am at Portland REI — come ready for an introductory walk, run, or ride.
– Free: Music concert by Blackbird – Tribute to the Beatles, 2:00pm at the Tigard Public Library.
– Free: Library program “Be Happy!” 3:00pm at the Kenton Library. Learn about the seven habits of highly happy people.
– Free (donations accepted): Portland Metro Arts Choreographer’s Showcase, 7:00pm at Portland Metro Performing Arts (SE 90th and Stark Street).
– Free: Grand Reopening Concert at the Old Church, 7:00pm reception followed by an 8:00pm concert performance by Solid Brass.
Sunday, January 27th:
– Free – $10: McMenamins Crystal Ballroom Birthday, features tours and free musical performances, please see web site for schedule.
– Free: Library program “Rain and the Brain,” 2:00pm at the Gregory Heights Library. Learn more about how short days and overcast skies can affect your mood and energy level in this presentation.
– Free: Portland Opera Preview: Tosca, 2:00pm at the downtown Central Library Collins Gallery.
– Free: The Multnomah County Library celebrates William Stafford’s Birthday with a program beginning at 2:00pm in the US Bank Room of the Central Library.
– Free: Powell’s welcomes author Oliver Burkeman and his book “The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can’t Stand Positive Thinking,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books on Burnside.
– $50 festival pass: The Portland Area Theatre Alliance presents the Fertile Ground Festival, a 10-day festival of new works of art, from world premiere projects and staged readings to other developing works and events from the Portland creative community. Runs Thursday, January 24th – Sunday, February 3rd.
– $7 – $12 admission: 2013 Portland Auto Show, Thursday – Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center. Look for $3 discount coupons in the Oregonian newspaper, valid all day on Thursday and up until 3:00pm on Friday.
– $5 plus two cans of food for the Oregon Food Bank: TICA International Cat Show, Friday – Sunday at the Holiday Inn Portand Airport Conference Center.