Article of the Week:
“The Best and Worst Things to Buy in May,” by Lindsay Sakraida for Dealnews.com.
Monday, April 29th:
– History Pub presentation â€œLincoln and Oregon Country Politics in the Civil War Era,â€ 7:00pm at McMenamins Kennedy School, free for all ages.
– OMSI Science Pub presents “Exploring the Deep Ocean: Strange Animals, Submarine Volcanoes, and Life in Extreme Environments,” 7:00pm at Hillsboro’s Venetian Theater. $5 suggested cover charge.
– Free presentation “History of Oregon Amusement Parks,” 7:00pm at the Tigard Public Library.
– Powell’s book event with author William J. Bernstein and his new book “Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books on Hawthorne, free.
Tuesday, April 30th:
– 16th Annual Cascade Job Fair, 11:00am – 3:00pm at the Portland Community College Cascade campus gymnasium. Free.
– Oregon Encyclopedia History Night presents â€œPendleton and the Real West: The Photographs of Lee Moorhouse,â€ 6:30pm at McMenamins Edgefield, free for all ages.
Wednesday, May 1st:
– Wondrous Wednesday at the World Forestry Center offers admission for $3 per person to the Discovery Museum.
– May Day Celebration, 4:00pm – 9:00pm at McMenamins Kennedy School. Free, all ages welcome.
– Free program “Estate Planning: Common Sense Wills and Trusts,” 7:00pm at the Tigard Public Library.
Thursday, May 2nd:
– Fit Rightâ€™s First Thursdays Urban Adventure Run, 6:00pm beginning at Fit Right. Please register online to avoid the lines and receive three extra raffle tickets; this event is free for all walkers and racers of all abilities.
– First Thursday monthly art gallery event in downtown Portland, Old Town / Chinatown, Northwest and the Pearl.
– Pub Quiz USA presents the All Downton Abbey Pub Quiz, 7:00pm at McMenamins Mission Theater. $5 per person advance, $8 day of event, 21 and over only.
– Powell’s book event with author Becky Ohlsen and her book “Walking Portland,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books on Hawthorne, free.