Thursday, May 4th:
Submission: FREE EVENT Hollywood Theatre + Literary Arts Present: Books to Film, 7:00pm at the Hollywood Theater. Daniel Wilson will discuss the art of selling stories to Hollywood.
Friday, May 3rd:
– Free (11:00am – 3:00pm): Cinco de Mayo Festival at downtown Portland’s Waterfront Park. Regular admission applies after 3:00pm and all day on Saturday and Sunday.
– Free: Target First Friday offers free admission to the Portland Childrenâ€™s Museum from 4:00pm â€“ 8:00pm.
– Free: Central Eastside Arts District First Friday Art Opening Receptions, 6:00pm â€“ 9:00pm.
– $6 advance tickets / $8 at the door: ReeltimeLIVE! hosts â€œCinco de Lebowski,â€ the 15th anniversary screening of The Big Lebowski with doors opening at 7:00pm.
– Free: Powell’s book event with author Grant McOmie and his new book “Grant’s Getaways: 101 Oregon Adventures,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books on Burnside.
Saturday, May 4th:
– Free Comic Book Day, search the web site for participating shops in the Portland area. The Tualatin Public Library welcomes local animator Aron Nels Steinke from 2:00pm – 3:00pm.
– Free: Library program “The Marquam Mosaic: Writing with Nature,” 3:00pm – 4:00pm at the Hillsdale Library. Registration required, seats still available.
– Free: 139th running of the Kentucky Derby from Churchill Downs, catch the action at Portland Meadows with their special event that includes live music, cornhole toss, ladies hat contest and more. The big race is scheduled to go off at around 3:24pm.
– Free: Powell’s book event featuring George Miller and the Portland Rose Festival Foundation’s Portland Rose Festival with actors from the festival’s Living History Program. 4:00pm at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside.
Sunday, May 5th:
– $2 general admission: OMSI discounted admission, explore the museum for only $2 per person the first Sunday of every month. 9:30am â€“ 5:30pm.
– Free: Portland Opera Preview: Falstaff, 2:00pm – 3:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library Collins Gallery.
– Free: The Lake Oswego Millennium Concert Band performs at 7:30pm at the Lakeridge High School Auditorium, all ages welcome. The Millennium Winds will perform pre-concert music at 6:45pm.
– Free: final weekend of the Friends of the Hillsboro Library Used Book Sale.
– Free: Clackamas County Master Gardeners Spring Garden Fair, Saturday and Sunday at the Clackamas County Event Center in Canby.
– Free: The Society for Creative Anachronism and Pacific Universityâ€™s History Department present the Faire in the Grove, Saturday 11:00am – 6:00pm and Sunday 11:00am – 4:00pm at McMenamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove.
– Free: Bank of Americaâ€™s Museums on Us program offers free admission to the Portland Art Museum and the Portland Childrenâ€™s Museum this Saturday and Sunday. To qualify for Museums on Us, customers must present their Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card along with a photo ID to gain free general admission.