Article of the Week:
“7 Things to Never Buy Used,” by Farnoosh Torabi for Yahoo Finance.
Monday, May 6th:
– The Portland Center for the Performing Arts Volunteer Program presents Noontime Showcase: Oregon Ballet Theatre, performing classic and contemporary dance. 12:00pm in the rotunda of Antoinette Hatfield Hall, Portland Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Portland.
– OMSI Science Pub presents “The Science of Being Happy and Productive at Work,” with Scott Crabtree, 7:00pm at McMenamins Bagdad Theater. $5 suggested cover charge, 21 and over (minor okay with adult).
– Oregon Encyclopedia History Night presents â€œThe Extraordinary Life of Homer C. Davenport, Political Cartoonist,â€ 7:00pm at McMenamins Mission Theater. Free, minor okay with parent or guardian.
– Submission from Don: Authors in Pubs First Monday event, 7:30pm – 9:30pm at the Jack London Bar in downtown Portland. 21 and over, free admission (donations accepted).
Tuesday, May 7th:
– Free workshop “Social Security Disability Benefits Talk,” 6:00pm at the Beaverton City Library.
– Free library program with author and river guide Vince Welch for his new book “The Last Voyageur: Amos Burg and the Rivers of the West,” 6:30pm at the Sellwood-Moreland library.
– Hillsboroâ€™s First Tuesday features the gallery exhibition High Fiber Diet: Elements, 6:00pm â€“ 8:00pm at the Glenn & Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center in downtown Hillsboro, free. An opening reception and a house concert by a MIR music student and teacher recital will be held. Just two blocks away, Sequoia Gallery + Studios will also offer an art reception with food and music, 6:00pm â€“ 8:00pm.
– First Tuesday Music Series features an evening of reggae music with Rhythm Culture, 7:00pm at the Lake Oswego Public Library. Free.
Wednesday, May 8th:
– Regional trails fair, 1:00pm – 3:30pm at the Metro Regional center near the Oregon Convention Center. More than 25 local trail partners â€“ agencies, non-profits and trail groups â€“ will be on site with information and displays about their programs and projects. Free.
– Free workshop “Saving for a Sunny Day: Budgeting for the Things You Want,” 6:30pm at the Woodstock library.
Thursday, May 9th:
– PCC Brown Bag Lunch and Learn series presents “Brain Health,” 12:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library, free.
– Submission from Jeffrey: “Please join us for our upcoming event on May 9th. The Kinderschule will be hosting Chrisof and Vladislava Altmann from Stuttgart, Germany for this upcoming performance of their LÃ¶we Lacht on our little stage. Also, all are welcome!” 10:30am at the Portland Kinderschule (68 SW Miles Street, Portland), free admission, donations accepted.