Friday, May 17th:
– $3 general admission: “Visuals,” 5th Avenue Cinemaâ€™s community film festival starting at 7:00pm includes a free slice of Hot Lips Pizza!
– Free (suggested donation of $5 per person or $15 for a family): Family Friday Concert Series presents the Oregon Renaissance Band, 7:15pm at Community Music Center. Doors open at 6:30pm.
Saturday, May 18th:
– Free: 2013 Women in Trades Career Fair, 9:00am – 3:00pm at the NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center. Open to everyone, no pre-registration required and offers free parking and free childcare.
– Free (suggested $10 donation): Journeys Art Festival, a benefit for Sisters of the Road Cafe, 10:00am – 5:00pm at the Armory in the Pearl district.
– $10 general admission per person or $15 per family: 9th Annual Gluten-Free Food Fair, 11:00am – 3:00pm at the Mittleman Jewish Community Center.
– Submission from Elizabeth – Sniff, Swirl, Sip – A Celebration of Oregon Wines, 12:00pm – 6:00pm at Whole Foods Bridgeport Village. 21 and over, $10 general admission.
– Free: AmaZine Day, 2:00pm at the Independent Publishing Resource Center, features music, presentations, exhibitors and more.
– Free: Local author Daryl Eigen will discuss his book â€œA Place of Hellish Angels: Con Thien: One Manâ€™s Journeyâ€ about his experiences at the battle of Con Thien during the Viet Nam war, 2:30pm – 3:30pm at the Beaverton City Library.
– Free (donations encouraged): “Song of the Magpie,” a dramatic reading about the lives of elders who find themselves on the street, 7:00pm – 9:00pm at Heart of Wisdom Temple in NE Portland.
Sunday, May 19th:
– Free: Kenton Street Fair, 10:00am – 6:00pm, features live music, vendors, coaster car race and more.
– Free: Library workshop “Gardening Well into Your Senior Years,” 2:00pm at the Sellwood-Moreland Library.
– Free: Library workshop “Saving for a Sunny Day: Budgeting for the Things You Want,” 2:00pm at Gregory Heights Library.
– Free: The Museaux Trio performs a concert “20th Century Musical Adventures Part II,” 2:30pm – 4:00pm at the Tigard Community Library.
– Free: “Honoring Our Rivers: A Student Anthology Reading,” 4:00pm at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside.
– Free: Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon Health & Fitness Expo, Friday and Saturday at the Portland Expo Center. Features over 60 exhibitors, free samples, running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and more.
– Free – $35: McMenaminsâ€™ 14th Annual UFO Festival at Hotel Oregon, Friday – Sunday in McMinnville. Many free events and some that require tickets, please see schedule for details.
– $5 vehicle fee: 13th annual Sandy River Spey Clave, Friday – Sunday at Oxbow Regional Park for the largest gathering of anglers devoted to two-hand fly rod fishing in the western hemisphere. Friday is “Beginner’s Day”, which focuses on introducing new anglers into the sport of Spey Fishing.
– Free: Open Engagement 2013, “an international conference that sets out to explore perspectives on Art and Social Practice and expand the dialogue around socially engaged art making.” Friday – Sunday at various sites on the Portland State University campus.