Here are just a few highlights for things to do this month, on the cheap. For a complete list of things to do, please visit our Google calendar. Over on our sister home page, we’ve included new birthday freebies so please take a visit!
Article of the Month:
“The Best and Worst Things to Buy in May,” by Dealnews.com.
– Free: 33rd Annual Ceramic Showcase, Friday May 1st – Sunday May 3rd at the Exhibit Hall at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
– Free: Bank of America’s Museums on Us program offers free admission to the Portland Art Museum, the Portland Children’s Museum and the Japanese Garden on Saturday May 2nd and Sunday May 3rd. To qualify for Museums on Us, customers must present their Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card along with a photo ID to gain free general admission.
– Free: The Ultimate New Home Showcase, Saturday May 2nd & Sunday May 3rd, tour new houses all over the Portland metro area.
– Free: Friends of the Hillsboro Library bi-annual book sale, final weekend Friday May 1st – Sunday, May 3rd.
– Standard Festival Pass $105.44: Bridgetown Comedy Festival, Thursday May 7th – Sunday May 10th. Yes, the price is over a hundred bucks, but you are getting 4 days of excellent comedy!
– Free – ticketed events : McMenamins 16th Annual UFO Festival, Thursday May 14th – Sunday May 17th at Hotel Oregon in McMinnville. Many free events like the “Landing Party,” UFO Abduction Dash, music and more.
– Free: Pioneer Family Festival, Friday May 15th – Sunday May 17th at Oregon City’s Clackamette Park.
– Free: Memorial Weekend in the Wine Country, Friday May 23rd – Sunday May 25th.
Friday, May 1st:
– Free: Target First Fridays offers free admission to the Portland Children’s Museum from 4:00pm – 8:00pm.
Saturday, May 2nd:
– Free Comic Book Day, participating shops include Things From Another World, Excalibur Books, Future Dreams, Floating World and Cosmic Monkey.
– Free: Portland Meadows Kentucky Derby Party, gates open at 7:00pm but the big race isn’t scheduled until 3:24pm.
– Free: Faire in the Grove, 10:00am – 6:00pm at McMenamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove.
Sunday, May 3rd:
– Free: Faire in the Grove, 10:00am – 4:00pm at McMenamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove.
– $2: OMSI first Sunday event offers general admission to all for only $2.
– Pay What You Will performance of “The Lion,” 7:30pm at Portland Center Stage. Tickets are limited so we recommend purchasing them when purchasing begins at noon the day of.
Monday, May 4th:
– Free: Designing a Garden to Table Landscape, 6:30pm – 7:30pm at Living Room Realty.
– Free: “May the Fourth Be With You” free Screening of Star Wars Fan Films, doors open at 6:30pm, McMenamins Mission Theater.
Tuesday, May 5th:
– Free: Hillsboro First Tuesday opening exhibits, 5:00pm – 6:30pm in downtown Hillsboro. Check it out at the Glenn & Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center and the Sequoia Gallery + Studios.
Thursday, May 7th:
– Free: First Thursday Urban Adventure Run, 6:00pm – 7:00pm in downtown’s Pearl district area.
– Free: Performance “Caminos del Ande- Andean Trails,” 6:30pm – 7:30pm at the Hillsdale Library.
Saturday, May 9th:
– Free: Camas Plant & Garden Fair, 9:00am – 4:00pm.
– Free: 9th Annual St. Johns Bizarre & Parade, 10:00am – 7:00pm with music, crafts, food drink and more.
– Free: Crafty Wonderland Super Colossal Spring Sale, 11:00am – 6:00pm at the Oregon Convention Center.
– Free: Gypsy jazz & vintage swing stringband, 2:00pm – 3:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library.
Sunday, May 10th:
– Free: East Portland Sunday Parkways, 11:00am – 4:00pm.
Tuesday, May 12th:
– $4: Oregon Zoo second Tuesday offers $4 admission for all. Ride public transit, show proof of fare and receive an additional $1.50 off.
Friday, May 15th:
– Free: Rock ‘n’ Roll Portland Health & Fitness Expo, 12:00pm – 6:00pm at the Oregon Convention Center.
– Free: Oregon Wilderness Block Party, 5:00pm – 10:00pm at Keen’s Footwear in the Pearl.
Sunday, May 17th:
– $5: Portland Parks $5 for 5k series, 9:00am – 11:00am at Fernhill Park.
– Free: 10th Annual Mt Tabor Art Walk, 10:00am – 5:00pm.
– Free: 5th Annual Regional Trails Fair, 12:00pm – 5:00pm at the Oregon Convention Center.
Wednesday, May 20th:
– Free: Beaverton Wind Ensemble concert, 7:00pm at Beaverton City Library Auditorium.
Friday, May 22nd:
– Free: Portland Art Museum Free Fourth Friday, admission is free for everyone from 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
– Free: Rose Festival opening night fireworks, 9:45pm. Cityfair admission is $10 if you want to see the show from within the park and if you want to see the 8:30pm concert from Hit Machine.
Saturday, May 23rd:
Memorial Day weekend events and things to do, suggestions from PDX Pipeline.
Thursday, May 28th:
– Free: Last Thursday on Alberta, streets will be closed from 6:00pm – 9:30pm.
Saturday, May 30th:
– Free: Rose Festival Starlight Parade, 8:30pm – 11:00pm.